Chatter When Cutting Flutes
Harold Wright asks the following:
I sometime get a chatter and/or vibration when fluting. Would I get a better result with Mastercarver?
There are several possible causes of chatter when fluting, and ways to prevent:
- Dull router bit
- Cutting too deeply. Make several shallow cuts
- Drill handle is not securely fastened in tool holder
- Drill is not run at full speed
- Always cut from right to left - never from left to right
- Move the Flute Master smoothly along cut - don't pause
A new tool holder is now available machined to fit 1 inch handles of Mastercarver, Foredom and Wecheer drills. It more securely holds the drill handle centered in the tool holder and provides better control. Caution, do not over-tighten the drill handle in the tool holder as it can damage the bearings in the drill handle.
Posted on Mon, August 11, 2014
by Dick Webber filed under